Saturday, November 10, 2007

Playdoh...love it or hate it

It's raining out and my kids are getting a little antsy. I have some, (seriously, extreme) difficulty trying to find an indoor activity that they can all enjoy with minimal disputes.

Playdoh is my savior. There is something for each skill and attention span level and I get some relative peace for anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. There is nothing like it. They are cheerfully sharing the tools and different colors. The older children are showing the younger child how things work. I get all weepy to see them so harmoniously playing.

I thank the makers of such a fun and versatile activity. My daughter is expressing her inner jewel maker and my older son is creating some pretty interesting monsters. My little guy is even fine tuning those fine motor skills by making some teeth for his animal. What more can you ask for?

Then, it's clean up time. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a neat freak. However, it offends my sense of order to have to deal with separating the colors. I can't seem to explain to my offspring that when they have completed their project they should pull apart the different colors instead of mashing it all together.

My sweet daughter asks, "Can you open this color for me?" I briefly pause and glance at the 6 other colors already blending themselves on the table. I debate whether to tell her she has enough colors or just surrender to it, since there's no way in hell I'll be able to minimize my aggravation with one less color to separate.....I really love it when they ask me why the colors are all mixed up and complain they can't use it this way. Try as I might, they haven't made the connection.

I can't wait until they are able to clean this up themselves.......

No comments: